
I love that he got to come. I wouldn't mind if this is a recurring thing for a long time.
In other news, my wonderful bentwood rocker finally bit the dust. I sat in it and leaned back and the frame split. :o( Made me very sad. I like to sit in it in the front room and look outside while Dad is on the sofa. We talk and make plans and the other sofa seems so much farther away, somehow. I was bemoaning the loss and the man said, why don't we get another one? So we shopped at the Goodwills and looked online but they were nonexistent or too expensive. So he said, why don't you try Craig's list? I did and there were two!! One for $45 and one for $95. I texted them both and put the amount on the contact name line so I would know which was communicating with us. I got a text from the $45 and we went to see it and paid them the $45, put it in the car and drove away. We got down the street and I got a text saying she had asked $95 and we only gave her less than half! I guess I got the numbers mixed up when I entered the phone numbers because it was truly a beautiful chair, just as the ad described the more expensive one, so we went back and paid her the rest. We were lucky we had enough between us to pay it. But we got a beautiful chair and are very happy.
The man had to cut up the broken one to put it in the trash. It was a fine friend and it made me sad to see it go.
And now we have another one that also makes me happy. She said she paid over $200 when she bought it new and it does seem to be well made, not just a WalMart special.
Another thing that I am happy about this week is that I thought I had gotten toenail fungus when we girls all went to get pedicures at Thanksgiving. I finally took off the polish a week ago and saw white spots on my big toenails! They looked just like the beginning of fungus I looked up on the web. Made me VERY unhappy. I got an appointment right away and got the results back yesterday and the dr said whatever it is, it's not toenail fungus. He didn't say what it was, but when I was there in the office he said sometimes pressure on the toes can cause similar things. Whew!! Dodged another bullet. I REALLY don't want that stuff. So the plan is to keep the toes out and dry all summer. NO closed toed shoes. And no more pedicures! It's always a gamble and I don't want to take that chance at this stage of life.
Yesterday the man had volunteered to sub for a brother in the temple and so I went along to do some things while he was there. I did some sealings, two endowments and some initiatories for our family names. It was a relaxing, sweet, beautiful day. It felt luxurious to just go and do whatever I wanted to do and have the time with no rush or expectations. One of the endowment sessions was for a girl who was getting married soon and I realized it was a girl whose parents are in our ward! Her mom is probably Lara's best friend. What a surprise. I thought it was pretty special that the brother conducting the session was the grandfather of the bride to be. And obviously it was arranged that way. I had to think about it a while. You would have realized it right away, right?
As far as the Reading classes are going with Da, Kathy recommended a book called Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons or something like that and I got it and it makes me happy. I am using it with Da now and I feel much more confident. I feel sure she will be able to read in a few months and I didn't feel that before. It was such slow going with not much progress. And I was unsure about how to introduce more sounds as we went along. This book gives me a script and all I have to do is follow it and it works well. Da is smart and very cooperative so I expect success.
Now that it's warm weather the man is working in the yard more. We took out one of our front trees and he planted stolons of grass to fill in the spot. They seem to be taking hold and doing well. He cares a lot about the yard. Also along the front of the house where we weeded and realigned the plantings it was bare and he did the same thing there. So he is feeling good lately. He likes to sit in the back and watch the squirrels jump around in the trees and the lizards crawl all around the garage and deck and flirt with each other.
He teaches the new member lessons on Sunday and is good at it. He always has stories that keep their interest and new viewpoints to the same old stuff everyone knows already.
We are trying to lose our winter weight and are having mixed success. We both want to lose about 10-15 pounds and have each lost about 5 or so. Gotta keep on it and it will work. We started on Sparkpeople but Dad didn't like keeping such close tabs on what he eats. He and I both figure if he just stays off the evening snacks he will be pretty good. We will see. If we get too strict we don't want to do it, right? So he has dessert when we have the missionaries over and serve something, but he doesn't have seconds and thirds later.
So that's about all that is happening with us. We are happy and healthy and grateful for all of our precious family.


Always a pleasure to see you! Next time I should bring Thadeus, we want to see your new home and what you've done to it 😊
ReplyDelete