Yesterday Lara and I went to find some family gravestones. Here in
Houston we have at least 3 graves. There may be more cousins and so on
that we aren't aware of yet. But we found J B Neal and Rhoda Emma
Walker Fisher Neal (my mother's parents) and we found my dad, George
Lewis Fitch.
It was a really sweet experience to do that together with Lara. I was super grateful to have her drive around and find the two cemeteries and it was also extra nice to have time to just talk as we accomplished it. It was Heidi's idea to get the pictures. The lady at the first cemetery also gave us GM and GP's obituaries. They didn't have anything new to reveal, but it was good to have them anyway.
And when we got to the other cemetery where my dad is buried we couldn't find the grave right away and so the gardener came over and was so nice to help us find it and then helped us clean the dust off so we could get a better picture. Sorry about my reflection and camera string. Didn't notice them when I took it. I'll be more aware next time.
We got stuck in a major traffic jam because of a terrible accident on the freeway coming home, but Lara called Mary and she was happy to pick up the school kids and so the pressure was off. As Lara said, we were just grateful to be in the traffic jam instead of in that accident.
And today I learned something about myself. Tonight was our chili cookoff at our ward and I had made a huge pot of chili to be sure that there was enough to go around. The elders had asked the high priests to please be sure to contribute because they weren't sure they would be able to cover it. So we were prepared. Jer was going to work from 10 to 4 and the dinner was at 5. Plenty of time. The chili was ready. Then Jer called saying that he would have to work till 6 because the lady he works with got sick. So I would have to decide to go alone or get someone to take the chili. I called the RS Pres and asked if she could pick it up and she recommended some ladies to come pick it up but begged me to come and bring it myself. Begged me. And I simply couldn't stand the thought of driving there alone and sitting amongst nice ladies and friendly people and eating chili. Somehow it was impossible. I think a part of it is how far it is to the church. But I could have ridden with some nice ladies from here. Thinking of being in the car with them 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back and sitting with them for dinner....I couldn't do it. Could Not Do It. I don't know why. I have always thought of myself as capable and independent and not afraid of much. I have been thinking and thinking what may have been the reason.
But we have plenty of chili now.
I know why I would have done the same thing in your situation: the potential for fun did not outweigh the risk of unfun. Big, loud ward functions aren't really my thing even when I have a good buddy to pal around with. Attending a chili cook-off with near strangers? Absolute torture.
ReplyDeleteBut that's just me, and the Christian Science quiz declared me socially backward :)
LOL. It's funny how the one detail of not having Dad there made all the difference to you. I am like that, too. We had a RS meeting to plan an upcoming activity and I told them that the hardest part of going to these activities for me is walking in the doors of the cultural hall. That is stress. Who will be there? Who will I sit by? I have turned around and gone back home, before...
ReplyDelete